"Every moment is a fresh beginning"
Hello API Job Corps Centers,
NEW BEGINNINGS!! Every new year brings about a chance to begin again, and every new beginning brings about the need for some change. Change can be difficult even when expected. There are some steps we can take to ensure we have identified, and can execute, change and a new beginning in 2022.
1. Reflect on last year with appreciation: 2021 was a challenging year for our Job Corps centers. Just when we thought COVID-19 was behind us, two new variants that demanded even more of everyone on center. It was not easy for our staff, our students, or our corporation. That being said, by staying true to our policies and procedures, we were still able to serve our students, and we did so with integrity and grit. I am enormously proud of all of you and appreciate you and your efforts every day. Please take a moment and reflect on what you appreciate in your personal and professional life in 2021.
2. Focus on what you would like to happen in 2022: T.S. Eliot said, “Every moment is a fresh beginning.” Take the time to develop a personal vision statement. Personal vision statements can support your life plan by keeping you focused on long-term goals. A personal vision statement is a summary of your dreams for the future. It serves as an roadmap when life pulls you in different directions, helps you make decisions based on your values, and keeps you focused on your life ambitions.
3. Examine your current situation from different perspectives: Seeing things from different perspectives is crucial for our personal growth and increases the positivity of our relationships and interactions with others. Being able to see things from multiple perspectives increases our critical thinking, problem solving, and empathy. API is built on the idea of looking at things differently and our motto is: Providing new ways of thinking to create new ways of doing. 2022 can be better than 2021 if a new optimistic perspective is developed.
4. Start each day with an attitude check: A upbeat attitude is critical for ensuring you have a fulling and enjoyable life. Stating each day of 2022 with a positive attitude just makes everything that comes your way easier. An attitude is contagious; therefore, all of our attitudes and behaviors (positive or negative) affect those around us. As good Job Corps representatives, we should strive to make our attitudes and behaviors constructive: for ourselves, our students, and our centers.
5. Keep track of how you are progressing toward your new desires for 2022. Each day before you close your eyes, reflect on what you did, what you were proud of, and what you could have done better. This short reflection will lead to improvement steps which lead to improvement milestones. Before you know it, 2022 will be everything you hoped for and more!
Continue to be safe. You are so very needed and appreciated.